Current and upcoming competitions
The Society operates a varied competitions programme throughout the year, with all trophies, certificates and cash prizes now awarded at the annual Spring Tea in London. The majority of our competitions are open to full and associate members only. Full details of how to enter each competition are published in The Woman Writer magazine and may also appear on our facebook and twitter pages.
Please direct any queries to the Competitions Co-ordinator firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winner Takes All
Theme: A closing door
Write a story, poem or article in which the last line includes a closing door. Max 250 words.
Judge: Pamela Payne
Closing date: 31 May 2019
This competition is open to ALL members, including friends. Full details in The Woman Writer New Year issue.
Recent competition winners
SWWJ competition rules
Please read these rules carefully. Failure to comply could lead to your entry being invalidated.
- SWWJ competitions are open to full and associate members only. Unless specifically stated, Friends of the Society, Writer’s Debut members and non-members are not eligible to enter.
- Please ensure that any maximum word or line length set for the competition is strictly adhered to. Shortlisted entrants may be asked to supply an electronic copy of their entry so word count can be verified before prizes are awarded..
- Your membership number (NOT your name) and the title of your work should appear on every page of your entry. Please number the pages.
- Please type or print on one side of plain white A4 paper only. No handwritten entries please.
- Please use double spacing for all prose entries. Poems may be spaced as the poet requires.
- Every entry must have a detachable cover sheet showing the title, your name, membership number, address, and email address and/or phone number so we can contact you.
- Entries must be accompanied by the appropriate fee. Cheques to be made payable to SWWJ. A maximum of three entries per person to each competition is allowed. Sending cash is discouraged.
- Entries received after the closing date may be disregarded with no return of fee.
- If you would like to receive a copy of the judge’s report, please also enclose a self-addressed envelope of suitable size and bearing the correct postage.
- Entries MUST not be previously published or have been read or performed in any public domain up to the closing date. They should not be currently entered into any other competition.
- Please do not send your entry by recorded/special delivery or registered post. Enclose a stamped self-addressed postcard if you wish us to acknowledge its safe receipt.
- Keep a copy of your work as the Society cannot be held responsible for the loss of your entry, in the post or otherwise. Manuscripts will not be returned after judging.
- Cash prizes for winners and runners up vary per competition and will be as advertised.
- In the event of a large number of entries, or if the judge requests it, the Society reserves the right to appoint a shortlisting panel.
- Please keep the prize-giving date free in your diary and book a ticket to attend if at all possible. If you are a winner, we would like to congratulate you and present your prize to you in person!